While adult nappies are commonly associated with the elderly, who tend to develop bladder leakage as they age, people of all ages wear them for their own specific reasons. Adult nappies can be necessary for people with various conditions.
4 Conditions That Can Result In The Use Of Adult Diapers
1. Urinary incontinence
This condition occurs because of problems with the muscles and nerves that help the bladder hold or release urine. Leakage can happen when sneezing or coughing.
2. Bowel incontinence
This occurs when bowel movements cannot be controlled, common in older people. However, some conditions, like diabetes and multiple sclerosis, can affect the nerves around the rectum.
3. Mobility impairment
Some mobility impairments are caused by conditions present at birth, while others are the result of illness or physical injury. Several people with mobility impairments wear adult nappies as a precaution. However, depending on the illness or injury, an adult nappy might be needed all the time.
This condition causes a loss of cognitive functioning, which impairs the ability to remember, think, or make decisions that interfere with doing everyday activities; for some, incontinence develops.
Types Of Adult Nappies
Adult diapers answer a need that improves the quality of life for people of all ages and many different circumstances. With these varying demands, the right adult nappy choice should be the user’s preference, taking into account comfort, fit, and practicality.
There are different types of adult nappies available on the market, but they essentially come in two styles; Pullups and Tabs (traditional diaper style).
- Pull-up’s: This style is less bulky and more like underwear. Ideal for anyone who can go to the bathroom or can make use of a portable toilet.
- Tabs: Nappies with tabs are easier for people who have difficulty standing to put them on or for those cared for by a caregiver.
Fits & Fabrics & Sizing
Adult diapers also come in various styles, fits and fabrics, the most popular being:
- Contour Cloth Adult Nappies: Quite a common type of adult nappy. They are thin, narrow in the centre and wider at the ends and are less noticeable under regular clothing.
- Disposable Adult Diapers: Highly absorbent cloth-like lining on the inside and a waterproof exterior. It is designed to contain leakage effectively.
- Reusable Adult Diapers: Available in varying levels of absorbency, these are made to be washed and dried like regular clothing.
Fit & Size is Key
With all this information about the different types of adult nappies out there, it is important to note that without the proper fit, there is a definite chance of leakage. That being said, it is vital to ensure correct sizing. The best way to confirm this is by measuring the adult.
How To Measure To Get Your Correct Size:
When measuring for size, remember to always:
- Use a measuring tape.
- Measure while lying down or standing.
- Measure hips and waist to the nearest centimetre.
Changing Adult Nappy
1. Frequency of Change
There are a few things to consider on how often an adult nappy needs to be changed. This will depend on the health, lifestyle and condition of the person wearing them. Essentially an adult nappy shouldn’t get too wet. Like with baby nappies, keeping a wet adult nappy on for too long can result in a rash. To prevent this, the nappy should be changed as soon as it becomes wet or soiled.
2. What is Needed when Changing
It is advisable when changing an adult nappy to collect everything you will need first. These essentials will include:
- A clean nappy
- A towel or sheet to place under, just in case
- Disposable gloves
- Wet wipes
- A bag for the soiled nappy
- A change of clothing, if needed
3. Tips To Remember When Changing
Depending on the situation at hand, different methods will be used for changing. If you are changing yourself, you are probably in the position to use pull-ups, and it’s quick and easy, just like putting on underwear.
If you are taking care of someone else, you are prob using tab nappies and your patient or loved one is probably a bit more fragile, both physically and emotionally. Remember to be gentle and quick as you can.
- Wash your hand and avoid touching the inside of the nappy to prevent contamination.
- Always change the wearer while laying on their side.
- Always make sure tabs are tight and secure.
- Adjust the edges and makes sure the wearer is comfortable. Ensure that all ruffles and elastics are facing downwards and are not exposed to the inner thigh – to avoid irritation.
- Fasten upper tabs at a downward angle to secure the waist, while lower tabs should be fastened at an upward angle to prevent leaks from the buttocks.
- Always make sure you have the right size; if tabs overlap across the stomach area, consider a smaller size.
Always Be Mindful
There are significant psychological effects on the person that needs to wear an adult nappy. Unfortunately, many users find it embarrassing and, due to this, suffer from anxiety, stress and depression. It is important to always approach with patience, kindness and compassion, as with any other medical condition.
Tell Us About Your Experience
We’d love to hear from you. If you wear or know someone you know needs to wear an adult nappy? Tell us how you have dealt with some of the challenges that come along with it; your experience may help others. Simply comment below, or contact us here.
Feel Secure And Increase Your Confidence With Adult Nappies
At Drypers SA, we understand that independence and confidence are vital to living a healthy life. That’s why we only stock the best ranges of high-quality adult nappies and changing accessories that will give you the confidence to live a worry-free life without breaking the bank.
- Image Source: Pressfoto via freepik.com