Nothing can really prepare you adequately enough as a first-time parent, but it is important to remember that you will learn as you go. And what’s better than learning on the job, right?
The most common issue that usually creates a bit of a stir in newbie parents, would be learning HOW to change your baby’s nappy, next in line would be knowing exactly WHEN it is time to go up a size! Babies grow so fast and so do their nappy sizes. They go through quite a lot of nappies in their first year, so you will want to make sure that each and every nappy they wear is comfortable and not to mention hold in any messes!
Before we move on, you might be interested to read about how often you should change your baby’s nappy here.
We have created a guide of important pointers that can help you understand and get a better idea about the right time to upsize your baby’s nappy. But first, let’s look at how a nappy should fit.
How should a nappy fit?
Nappies should fit snugly on your baby’s waist and legs, but it shouldn’t be too tight. It should be snug enough to keep the nappy up, but not so tight that it gives your little one a “muffin top”. Important to note – no “rolls” should be popping out!
The front of the nappy should fit just below their belly button and it definitely should never cover up the umbilical stump in the case of a newborn. In fact, Drypers Wee Wee Dry Newborn nappies have a navel protection feature, which has a navel cut out design to help protect baby’s umbilical stump.
Around the back, you will want the nappy to sit snug and create a straight line across the back. The back normally rides up a bit higher than the front.
When should you go up a nappy size?
You should consider going up nappy sizes every 3 to 4 months, depending on how fast your baby is growing. Try using slightly bigger nappies even if the current ones are not yet tight, the size of a nappy determines its absorbency, which means the bigger the size the more it can absorb.
Here are 11 signs to look out for when it’s time to move up a nappy size
- Side Tabs Missing Their Target: The tabs don’t reach the middle of the landing zone, instead they only reach the edges of the waistband.
- No Wiggle Room In Waistbands & Legbands: You aren’t able to fit two of your fingers under the waistband or leg band of the nappy.
- Discomfort: Your baby seems uncomfortable in the nappy, due to it being too small.
- Nappy Rash: A nappy rash develops overnight because the nappy is too small and holds wetness too close to the skin. (FYI, here are some great ways to treat nappy rash).
- No Coverage: The nappy isn’t covering the bum completely.
- Red Marks: These may appear on their tummy or thighs, from the elastic cutting into their skin, indicating that the nappy is too tight.
- Leaks & Blowouts: The nappy starts to leak pee or the dreaded blowout happens more than once.
- Restricted Mobility: If your baby seems restricted or has difficulty moving about because their nappy is too tight.
- Consulting The Size chart: The size chart on your nappy pack will list the recommended weight for a baby wearing that nappy. If your baby’s weight is on the higher end for the next nappy size, then it is time to make the jump up. (View the Drypers Wee Wee Dry Nappies size chart here.)
- Pulling At Sides: If the nappy begins riding up on their hips or bunching at the hips, this is a sign that the diaper is too small. It should fit straight across their hips without pulling upwards.
- Nappy Becomes Hard To Put On: If you find that you struggle to put the nappy on it’s time to upsize.
Don’t Hesitate To Go Up
Your baby is constantly growing and can change nappy sizes a lot quicker than you might expect. If you start to suspect a size change is due, then it probably is time. Go ahead and go up with a size and even if they might be too big at the time, keep the nappies for future use, you will definitely use them at some point.
Keep Your Little One Happy!
You can keep your baby comfortable, happy and moving with Drypers Wee Wee Dry Nappies. Our stretchable waistbands and clearly marked tummy fit guide ensure a perfect fit for your little one and also helps you to identify when it’s time to move on to the next size. We make it easy, so you don’t have to doubt you doing it right and can enjoy watching your baby grow. Shop Drypers Wee Wee Dry Nappies from Newborn to 25 kgs online.